- Understanding Evolutionary Variation in Basal Metabolic Rate: An Analysis in Subterranean Rodents.
- Steady-state Energy Balance in Animal Models of Obesity and Weight Loss.
- Eight Weeks of Overfeeding Alters Substrate Partitioning Without Affecting Metabolic Flexibility in Men.
Headline vs Study
- Headline: Fasting Diet for People with Diabetes Could Regenerate the Pancreas.
- Headline: Stunning Discovery: This Simple Diet Could Destroy Diabetes.
- Study: Specific Intermittent, Low-calorie Diet Affects ß-Cells, and Insulin Secretion... In Mice and Cell Culture.
Contrary or Null Findings
- Minimal Impact of "Targeting Parents and Children at Schools in the Treatment of Childhood." (pdf)
- "Our results do not support a strong causal role for feeding in childhood overweight."
- RCT: “Advice and behavioral supports to consume 8 cups of water per day in the context of a weight-reducing diet did not affect body weight among adolescents with overweight or obesity.”
- "...contrary to resource-based models prior impulse-controlling activity and placebo drink consumption increase patience."
- RCT: "Contrary to the proposed hypothesis, results suggest protein consumption and circulating serum myostatin levels did not significantly influence LM among older adults."
- "Contrary to our expectations of cooperative foraging, they appear to forage only for themselves, and may even hide information about food patches from one another: naked mole-rat society is apparently despotic rather than cooperative."
- A Single Bout of High-intensity Interval Exercise and Work-matched Moderate-intensity Exercise Has Minimal Effect on Glucose Tolerance and Insulin Sensitivity in 7- to 10-year-old Boys.
- RCT: “Community-based…Trial Allocated 802 Pregnant Women …to: Control, FAB (food, Activity, and Breastfeeding), Sleep, or Combination (both Interventions) Groups…did Not Seem to Affect Children’s Weight Status.”
- The Cellular and Molecular Bases of Leptin and Ghrelin Resistance in Obesity.
- Apigenin Attenuates Hippocampal Oxidative Events, Inflammation and Pathological Alterations in Rats Fed High Fat, Fructose Diet.
- Dietary Intervention, but Not Losartan, Completely Reverses Non-alcoholic Steatohepatitis in Obese and Insulin Resistant Mice.
- The Resveratrol Derivative Pterostilbene Increases the Thermogenic and Oxidative Capacity of Brown Adipose Tissue in Obese Rats.
- Resistance Training Reverses Negative Metabolic and Morphological Changes in Rats Fed a High-Protein Diet.
- Myoglobin Protects Against Cardiac Lipotoxicity By Suppressing Myocardial Lipid Accumulation.
- Insulin Increases Filtration Barrier Permeability Via TRPC6-dependent Activation of PKGIa Signaling Pathways.
- Plasma and Adipose Tissue Level of Angiopoietin-like 7 (ANGPTL7) are Increased in Obesity and Reduced After Physical Exercise. (Updated link)
- A Global Characterization of the Translational and Transcriptional Programs Induced By Methionine Restriction Through Ribosome Profiling and RNA-seq.
- Concentration-dependent Linkage of Dietary Methionine Restriction to the Components of Its Metabolic Phenotype.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- Glycemic index is as reliable as macronutrients on food labels.
- Lessons from a Silly yet Serious Study.
Children and Adolescents
- Childhood Obesity Among the Poor in Peru: Are There Implications for Cognitive Outcomes?
- Water Load Test in Children with Chronic Abdominal Pain or Obesity Compared with Nonobese Controls.
- Predictors of Physical Activity After Gastric Bypass—a Prospective Study.
- Bariatric Surgery Versus Intensive Medical Therapy for Diabetes — 5-Year Outcomes.
- Making the Connection.
- Long-term Incidence of Microvascular Disease After Bariatric Surgery or Usual Care in Patients with Obesity, Stratified By Baseline Glycaemic Status: A Post-hoc Analysis of Participants From the Swedish Obese Subjects Study.
- Long-term Outcomes of Bariatric Surgery in Adolescents with Severe Obesity (FABS-5+): A Prospective Follow-up Analysis.
- Pathophysiology and Potential Non-Pharmacologic Treatments of Obesity or Kidney Disease Associated Refractory Hypertension.
- Beneficial Effects of Metformin in Diet-Induced Obesity Associated Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in mice.
Food & Diet
- Special Issue "Dietary Fructose and Glucose: The Multifaceted Aspects of their Metabolism and Implication for Human Health".
- Early Taste Experiences and Later Food Choices.
- Can the Palatability of Healthy, Satiety-Promoting Foods Increase with Repeated Exposure During Weight Loss?
- A Systematic Review of the Effects of Plant Compared with Animal Protein Sources on Features of Metabolic Syndrome.
- Irregular Meal Times, Unfavorable Dietary Patterns Increase Obesity Risk in Evening Chronotypes.
- Sterol Regulatory Element-binding Protein-1c Orchestrates Metabolic Remodeling of White Adipose Tissue By Caloric Restriction.
- Impact of Carbohydrate Restriction in the Context of Obesity on Prostate Tumor Growth in the Hi-Myc Transgenic Mouse Model.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- Required Friction During Overground Walking is Lower Among Obese Compared to Non-obese Older Men, but Does Not Differ with Obesity Among Women.
- Impact of Physical Activity on the Association of Overweight and Obesity with Cardiovascular Disease.
- What is Driving Obesity? A Review on the Connections Between Obesity and Motorized Transportation.
- Determination of the Exercise Intensity that Elicits Maximal Fat Oxidation in Individuals with Obesity.
- Comparable Effects of High-Intensity Interval Training and Prolonged Continuous Exercise Training on Abdominal Visceral Fat Reduction in Obese Young Women.
- Using Social Network Analysis to Better Understand Compulsive Exercise Behavior Among a Sample of Sorority Members.
Economics & Sociology
- Height Premium for Job Performance.
- Cultural Dimensions of Food Insecurity Among Immigrants and Refugees.
- Predicting Obesity Rate and Obesity-Related Healthcare Costs Using Data Analytics.
- Genetic Characterization of Physical Activity Behaviours in University Students Enrolled in Kinesiology Degree Programs.
- All-cause Mortality in Patients with Diabetes Under Treatment with Dapagliflozin: A Population-based, Open-cohort Study in THIN Database.
- Adiposity and Cancer at Major Anatomical Sites: Umbrella Review of the Literature.
- Bad Diet in Youth Might Raise Risk of Early Breast Cancer.
- Association Between Age at Menarche and Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: The Australian Longitudinal Study on Women's Health.
- Change in Percentages of Adults with Overweight or Obesity Trying to Lose Weight, 1988-2014.
- Association Between Dietary Factors and Mortality From Heart Disease, Stroke, and Type 2 Diabetes in the United States.
- Time Trends and Factors in BMI and Obesity Among Children in China: 1997 to 2011.
- Association Between Diabetes and 1-Year Adverse Clinical Outcomes in a Multinational Cohort of Ambulatory Patients with Chronic Heart Failure: Results From the ESC-HFA Heart Failure Long-Term Registry.
- Understanding Eating Interventions Through an Evolutionary Lens.
- Association Between Leptin and STNFR1 Levels and Cognitive Functioning in Infants.
- The Negative Impact of Impulsivity on Weight Loss Varies By Treatment Type.
- Internet-delivered Obesity Treatment Improves Depression Risk.
- Prevention of Eating Disorders: A Systematic Review of RCTs.
- Fat Talk and Body Image Disturbance: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Psychological and Behavioral Effects of Obesity Prevention Campaigns.
- The Role of Stigma in Weight Loss Maintenance Among U.S. Adults.
- Beliefs Prior to and Following Gastric Banding.
- What Barriers and Facilitators do School Nurses Experience When Implementing an Obesity Intervention?
- The Role of Nutritional Labeling in Promoting Healthier Food Choices: A Review of the Major Issues in the EU.
- Impact of Weight of the Nation Community Screenings on Obesity-Related Beliefs.
- Maternal Stress and Neonatal Anthropometry: The NICHD Fetal Growth Studies.
- Maternal Nutrition Modulates Fetal Development By Inducing Placental Efficiency Changes in Gilts.
- Fetal Growth Trajectories in Pregnancies of European and South Asian Mothers with and Without Gestational Diabetes.
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- The Energetic, Physiological, and Behavioral Response of Lemon Sharks (Negaprion Brevirostris) to Simulated Longline Capture.
- Hypothalamic Over-expression of VGF in the Siberian Hamster Increases Energy Expenditure and Reduces Body Weight Gain.
- Intrinsic and Extrinsic Influences on Standard Metabolic Rates of Three Species of Australian Otariid.
- Inactivity/sleep in Two Wild Free-roaming African Elephant Matriarchs – Does Large Body Size Make Elephants the Shortest Mammalian Sleepers?
- Characterizing Early Adolescent Plate Waste Using the Mobile Food Record.
- Comparison of Direct Measures of Adiposity with Indirect Measures for Assessing Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Preadolescent Girls.
- Calorie Counting and Fitness Tracking Technology: Associations with Eating Disorder Symptomatology.
- Effectiveness of MHealth Interventions for Patients with Diabetes: An Overview of Systematic Reviews.
- What You Post on Social Media Could Reveal a Lot About Your Health.
- Anthropometry: Continued Refinements and New Developments of an Ancient Method.
Mathematical and Quantitative
- Modeling & Simulation of Long-Term Body Weight Loss During Obesity Pharmacotherapy.
- Obesity Research Helps Montclair State Students Live Healthier Lives.
- My Cousin Vinny's Diet.
- Fat Tissue Can ‘talk’ to Other Organs, Paving Way for Possible Treatments for Diabetes, Obesity.
- Fat Chance Fruit Makes You Fat, Study Says.
- "Will common sense cure childhood obesity? A new study in Pediatrics is humbling."
- Why is Obesity a Hidden Disease?
- Behavioural Intervention – How Much More is Better?
- Video: What Makes Science True?
- Reproducibility2020: Progress and Priorities.
- Peer-review Activists Push Psychology Journals Towards Open Data.
- Tree Diversity in Relation to Maximum Tree Height: Evidence for the Harshness Hypothesis of Species Diversity Gradients.
- A Sweet Way to Test for Pee in the Pool.
- A Cry for Help or Sexual Perfumes? An Alternative Hypothesis for Wasp Attraction to the Scent of Caterpillar-wounded Plants.
- Unraveling the Processes Shaping Mammalian Gut Microbiomes Over Evolutionary Time.
- The “Biogenetic Law” in Zoology: From Ernst Haeckel’s Formulation to Current Approaches.
- US Survey Reports Many Adults with Diabetes Unaware of Certain Health Risks.
- Humans Have Three Times More Brown Body Fat.
- Maybe Sitting Isn’t Really the New Smoking.
- Saliva Communication.
- Premature Discontinuation of Pediatric RCTs: A Retrospective Cohort Study.
- Engineered Erythrocytes Covalently Linked to Antigenic Peptides Can Protect Against Autoimmune Disease.
- Nielsen Ranks OAC’s Your Weight Matters Campaign PSAs in Top 10% of PSAs for 2016.
- Dr. George Blackburn, Who Worked to Help You Eat Better, Dies at 81.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity".
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research;” Applications Due March 31st.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.