- Associations Between Human Breast Milk Hormones and Adipocytokines and Infant Growth and Body Composition in the First 6months of Life.+2009>
- Challenges in Accurately Modeling the Complexity of Human Ingestive Behavior: The Influence of Portion Size and Energy Density of Food on FMRI Food-cue Reactivity. (pdf)
- Administrative Databases Can Yield False Conclusions – an Example of Obesity in Total Joint Arthroplasty.
- RCT: Bariatric Surgery Versus Intensive Medical Therapy for Diabetes — 5-Year Outcomes.
Headline vs Study
- Headline (worse): Pregnant Women Drinking From Plastic Bottles May Have Obese Children: Study.
- Headline (better): Prenatal BPA Exposure May Lead to Weight Issues Later in Life: Mice Study.
- Study: Perinatal Exposure to BPA Affects Hypothalamic Feeding Circuitry in Mice. No Children; No Pregnant Women.
Contrary or Null Findings
- RCT: No Effects of Policy Interventions for Food Vouchers and Training in Health and Nutrition on Consumption in Ecuador.
- RCT: "Isocaloric diets high in animal or plant protein allow similar improvements of metabolism and cardiovascular risk factors in T2DM patients indicating that the differences in amino acid composition do not affect the metabolic responses to the interventions."
- RCT: "We conclude that c9,t11- and t12,c10-CLA administered as a supplement or used to enrich foods does not affect [fasting blood glucose (FBG) and waist circumference (WC)] in humans."
- "Findings suggest that physical activity is not associated with children's psychosocial health ..."
- RCT: Limited to No Effects of Protected Mealtimes in Hospitalised Patients.
- RCT: No Significant Effects of a High Protein Diet And/or Resistance Exercise on the Preservation of Fat Free Mass During Weight Loss in Overweight and Obese Older Adults.
- "Results from the present study indicate a lack of association between obesity and densitometry of the crystalline in the adult population group."
- Sensory-specific Satiety is Intact in Rats Made Obese on a High-fat High-sugar Choice Diet.
- Metagenomics Approach to the Study of the Gut Microbiome Structure and Function in Zebrafish Danio Rerio Fed with Gluten Formulated Diet.
- Ion Channel Necessary for Hormone and Anti-obesity Drug to Suppress Eating Identified.
- Lunasin Attenuates Obesity-Related Inflammation in Macrophages and Adipocytes By Inhibiting Inflammatory Cytokine Production.
- AMP-Activated Protein Kinase Regulates Lipid Accumulation in Skeletal Muscle Cells Through FTO-Dependent Demethylation of N6-Methyladenosine.
- Ghrelin Affects Stopover Decisions and Food Intake in Migratory Birds.
- Meal Distribution of Dietary Protein and Leucine Influences Long-Term Muscle Mass and Body Composition in Adult Rats. (pdf)
- Extracellular RNAs are Associated with Insulin Resistance and Metabolic Phenotypes.
- MiRNAs in Human Subcutaneous Adipose Tissue: Effects of Weight Loss Induced By Hypocaloric Diet and Exercise.
- Genetic Association of Waist-to-Hip Ratio with Cardiometabolic Traits, Type 2 Diabetes, and Coronary Heart Disease.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- The Mystery of a Retracted Study that Came Back to Life.
- Using a "Study of [restaurant] Studies" to help statistics students assess research findings.
- “Social Science Isn’t Definitive Like Chemistry:” Embattled Food Researcher Defends His Work.
- Gender Differences in Patients Starting Long-term Home Mechanical Ventilation Due to Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome.
- Health Effects of Isoflavones Misrepresented.
- Dietary Guidelines are Not Beyond Criticism – Authors' Reply.
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Measures of Early Brain Health in Middle-aged Adults.
- RCT: One Session of High-intensity Interval Training Every 5 Days Improves Muscle Power but Not Static Balance in Sedentary Aging Men.
- Pilot RCT: Long-term Pulse Wave Velocity Outcomes with Aerobic and Resistance Training in Kidney Transplant Recipients.
- RCT: Frontostriatal and Behavioral Adaptations to Daily Sugar-sweetened Beverage Intake.
- RCT: Media Literacy Programs Have an Effect on Weight and Shape Concern By Influencing Media Internalization.
Children and Adolescents
- RCT: Effectiveness of Computer Automation for the Diagnosis and Management of Childhood Type 2 Diabetes.
- Cholesterol Screening and Treatment Practices and Preferences: A Survey of United States Pediatricians.
- Weight Concerns Among Adolescent Boys.
- ‘Mum's the Word’: Predictors and Outcomes of Weight Concerns in Pre-adolescent and Early Adolescent Girls.
- What Factors Mediate the Relationship Between Global Self-worth and Weight and Shape Concerns?
- Partnering with Adolescents, Parents, Researchers, and Family Medicine Clinics to Address Adolescent Weight and Weight-related Behaviors.
- Swirl Sign — Intestinal Volvulus After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass.
- Acylated and Desacyl Ghrelin are Associated with Hepatic Lipogenesis, ß-oxidation and Autophagy: Role in NAFLD Amelioration After Sleeve Gastrectomy.
- RCT: Prevalence of Anemia in Subjects receiving Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass or Sleeve Gastrectomy.
- Metabolic Surgery in the Treatment Algorithm for Type 2 Diabetes.
- Unveiling the “Magic” of Diabetes Remission After Weight-Loss Surgery.
- Early Post-operative Psychosocial and Weight Predictors of Later Outcome in Bariatric Surgery: A Systematic Review.
Food & Diet
- Capsaicinoids Enhance Metabolic Rate Using a Novel Metabolic Tracker Breezing Device: An Open-Label Study.
- Dairy Food Intake is Inversely Associated with Risk of Hypertension in a Chinese Population.
FDA Crack Down on Dietary Supplements
- Platinum Weight Loss Solution – Fat Loss Metabolizer Contains Hidden Drug Ingredients.
- Slimming Plus Advanced Contains Hidden Drug Ingredients.
- Platinum Max Strength Blue Pill Version Contains Hidden Drug Ingredients.
- Ginseng for Reinforcing Kidney Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient.
- Goldreallas Original Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient.
- Metformin: A Metabolic Modulator.
- Neuropeptide Y Resists Excess Loss of Fat By Lipolysis in Calorie-restricted Mice: A Trait Potential for the Life-extending Effect of Calorie Restriction.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- Potentially Modifiable Factors Associated with Physical Activity in Individuals with Multiple Sclerosis.
- Physical Activity and Incident Hypertension in African Americans: The Jackson Heart Study.
- The Effect of Exercise on Non-exercise Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior in Adults.
- RCT: Effects of Aerobic or Resistance Training or Both on Health Related Quality of Life in Youth with Obesity.
Economics & Sociology
- Understanding Food Inflation in India: A Machine Learning Approach.
- The Neighbourhood Physical Environment and Active Travel in Older Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Weight Concerns and Food Habits of Adolescent Girls in Two Contrasting Ecological Regions: A Comparative Study in India.
- Visceral Fat is Associated with the Racial Differences in Liver Fat Between Black and White Adolescent Boys with Obesity.
- Adverse Metabolic and Mental Health Outcomes Associated with Shiftwork in a Population-based Study of 277168 Workers in UK Biobank.
- Relationship Between Marital Transitions, Health Behaviors, and Health Indicators of Postmenopausal Women.
- Association of Body Mass Index with the Tuberculosis Infection: A Population-based Study Among 17796 Adults in Rural China.
- RCT: Brief Obesity Intervention Based on Habit-formation Theory.
- Improving the Accuracy of Children's Dietary Recall.
- Inhibitory Control Predicts Fruit and Vegetable Consumption.
- Identifying Eating Behavior Phenotypes to Improve Interventions.
- Relative Reinforcing Value of Snack Foods Among Overweight and Non-overweight Preschoolers.
- RCT: Partner-based Monetary Contingency More Effective than Individual Contingency for Weight Loss.
- Weight-related Concerns and Diet Behaviors Among Urban Young Females: A Cross-sectional Study.
- Addiction Vulnerability and Binge Eating in Women.
Equity and Disparities
- Impact of Universal Interventions on Social Inequalities in Physical Activity Among Older Adults: An Equity-focused Systematic Review.
- Weight, Shape, and Muscularity Concerns in Male and Female Adolescents: Predictors of Change and Influences on Eating Concern.
- Weight, Gender, and Depressive Symptoms in South Korea.
- Body Size Ideals and Dissatisfaction in Ghanaian Adolescents: Role of Media, Lifestyle and Well-being.
- Perceived Weight Discrimination Doubles 10-Year Risk of Allostatic Load Among US Adults.
- Youth Experiences with Multiple Types of Prejudice-based Harassment.
- House Committee on Agriculture Public Hearing on Pros and Cons of Restricting SNAP Purchases.
- Strategic Science for Eating Disorders Research and Policy Impact.
- Obesity Policies: Punishment, Care, or Neglect?
- Maternal Consumption of a Cafeteria Diet During Lactation in Rats Leads the Offspring to a Thin-outside-fat-inside Phenotype.
- Obesity and Pregnancy: Mechanisms of Short Term and Long Term Adverse Consequences for Mother and Child.
- Associations of Maternal Macronutrient Intake During Pregnancy with Infant BMI Peak Characteristics and Childhood BMI.
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- Review: Role of Sleep and Circadian Disruption on Energy Expenditure and in Metabolic Predisposition to Human Obesity and Metabolic Disease.
- Review: Isometric Thermogenesis at Rest and During Movement: A Neglected Variable in Energy Expenditure and Obesity Predisposition.
- Genetic Signature of Natural Selection in First Americans.
- The Accuracy of Self-reported Pregnancy-related Weight: A Systematic Review.
- Quality in Dual-energy X-ray Absorptiometry Scans.
- Applications of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Data and Methods in Obesity-related Research.
- Validation of Two Portable Bioelectrical Impedance Analyses for the Assessment of Body Composition in School Age Children.
Mathematical and Quantitative
- Concept of Association Rule of Data Mining Assists Mitigating the Increasing Obesity.
- Using Data Mining to Predict Success in a Weight Loss Trial.
- Ready to Move Past Little Fibs in Eating Patterns.
- Sugar Paper Tussle at a Reunion.
- Book Review: Building a Case on the Harm of Sugar.
- Book Review/Commentary: "The theory supporting low-carb dieting lacks evidence, but it can help people stay on track with healthy eating."
- Feb 14: Another Day for Schools to Junk Your Kids.
- The Sweet Psychology Behind the Office Candy Jar, Including Why No One Wants to Be Caught Taking the Last Piece.
- Surgery: Six Times Better for Controlling Type 2 Diabetes.
- Trash Talk About Causality, Personality, and Obesity.
- Measurement Error and the Replication Crisis.
- Measurement Error Can Create Spurious Findings.
- Scientists are Pushed to Make Exciting Claims of Novelty to Get Funding.
- Mitochondrial DNA Mutations and Cardiovascular Disease.
- Resveratrol Induces Mitochondria-mediated, Caspase-independent Apoptosis in Murine Prostate Cancer Cells.
- Science is Not Constantly Being Proved Right.
- Book: Handbook of Community-Based Participatory Research.
- Advancing Meta-research Through Data Sharing and Transparency.
- Ultra-sensitive Accelerometers Used to Monitor Vibrational Communication Pulses of Honeybees.
- Evaluation of Evidence of Statistical Support and Corroboration of Subgroup Claims in RCTs.
Video & Audio
- Video: Water, Food & Energy.
- Video: Do the Benefits of California's Proposition 65 Law Outweigh Its Costs?
- Video: TED Talk: 4 Ways to Make a City More Walkable.
- Birmingham One of 10 Finalists for 'Smart Cities' Grant.
- Pennington Biomedical Research Center is Seeking Two Postdoctoral Research Fellows in the Area of Pediatric Physical Activity and Obesity.
- FDA Announcing Public Meeting to Discuss Use of the Term “Healthy” in Food Labeling.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity;" Applications due March 3rd.
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research;” Applications Due March 31st.
- National Academy of Sciences Sackler Colloquium “Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies”, March 8 - 10, 2017.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.