- Optimizing the Process for Establishing the Dietary Guidelines for Americans: The Selection Process.
- Historical Perspective on the Rise and Fall and Rise of Antibiotics and Human Weight Gain.
- Ectopic Fat Deposition Contributes to Age-associated Pathology in Caenorhabditis Elegans.
Headline vs Study
- Headline: Study: Body Shaming Can Literally Make People Sick.
- Study: Weight Bias Internalization Scale Cross-sectionally Associated with Metabolic Syndrome in Some Analyses.
Contrary or Null Findings
- RCT: "Menu labeling may decrease the calories ordered among individuals with AN or BN and increase calories ordered among individuals with BED."
- RCT: Acute Low-intensity Cycling with Blood-flow Restriction Has No Effect on Metabolic Signaling in Human Skeletal Muscle Compared to Traditional Exercise.
- RCT: No Significant Effects of Effects of Interpretive Nutrition Labels on Consumer Food Purchases.
- RCT: NO Significant Effects of a Mediterranean Diet on Risk of Heart Failure: Results From PREDIMED.
- RCT: Incorporating Freeze-dried Strawberry Powder Into a High-fat Meal Does Not Alter Postprandial Vascular Function or Blood Markers of Cardiovascular Disease Risk.
- Intake of Different Types of Fatty Acids in Infancy is Not Associated with Growth, Adiposity, or Cardiometabolic Health Up to 6 Years of Age.
- Habitual Physical Activity is Not Associated with Lower Cardiovascular Risk Profile or Higher Aerobic Fitness.
- RCT: "These results suggest that modest financial incentives delivered consistent with behavioral economics and behavior change theories do not undermine intrinsic motivation for weight management during obesity treatment; in fact, they yield higher levels of both extrinsic and intrinsic motivation."
- A Diet Enriched with Red Sorghum Flaked Biscuits, Compared to a Diet Containing White Wheat Flaked Biscuits, Does Not Enhance the Effectiveness of an Energy-Restricted Meal Plan in Overweight and Mildly Obese Adults.
- A Cafeteria Diet Triggers Intestinal Inflammation and Oxidative Stress in Obese Rats.
- Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry Underestimates in Vivo Lumbar Spine Bone Mineral Density in Overweight Rats.
- Administration of Chitosan-Starch Complexes Has Anti-Obesity Effects on Rats Fed a High-Fat Diet.
- Intermittent Feeding Alters Sensitivity to Changes in Reward Value.
- The Effects of Short-term High-fat Feeding on Exercise Capacity: Multi-tissue Transcriptome Changes By RNA Sequencing Analysis.
- Interleukin-17A Exacerbates High-fat Diet-induced Hepatic Steatosis By Inhibiting Fatty Acid ß-oxidation.
- Ghrelin Induces Clock Gene Expression in the Liver of Goldfish in Vitro Via Protein Kinase C and Protein Kinase a Pathways.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- Commentary: Improvements in Cycling Time Trial Performance are Not Sustained Following the Acute Provision of Challenging and Deceptive Feedback.
- Backlash Prompts Prominent Nutrition Researcher to Reanalyze Multiple Papers.
- Original Post Prompting Backlash/Dialogue on Deep Data Dives Etc.
- Surrogates of Insulin Sensitivity and Indices of Cardiometabolic Profile in Obesity.
- The Influence of Age, Sex and BMI on the Effectiveness of Brisk Walking for Obesity Management in Adults. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
Children and Adolescents
- POSITION STATEMENT: Curbing Summertime Weight Gain Among America’s Youth. (pdf)
- Effects of Enhancing School-Based BMI Screening Reports with Parent Education on Report Utility and Parental Intent to Modify Obesity Risk Factors.
- Modifying Provider Practice to Improve Assessment of Unhealthy Weight and Lifestyle in Young Children: Translating Evidence in a Quality Improvement Initiative for At-Risk Children.
- Omentectomy in Addition to Bariatric Surgery—a 5-Year Follow-up.
- Recent Trends in Endoscopic Bariatric Therapies.
- Central Nervous Insulin Administration Before Nocturnal Sleep Decreases Breakfast Intake in Healthy Young and Elderly Subjects.
- Ghrelin Agonist Capromorelin Oral Solution (ENTYCE®) Increases Food Consumption and Body Weight When Administered for 4 Consecutive Days to Healthy Adult Beagle Dogs in a Randomized, Masked, Placebo Controlled Study.
- Technology: RCT: Comparison of Exenatide and Acarbose on Intra-abdominal Fat Content in Patients with Obesity and Type-2 Diabetes.
Food & Diet
- High-disinhibition Restrained Eaters are Disinhibited By Self-regulatory Depletion in the Food-related Inhibitory Control.
- Breakfast: The Most Important Meal of the Day?
- Four-Week Consumption of Malaysian Honey Reduces Excess Weight Gain and Improves Obesity-Related Parameters in High Fat Diet Induced Obese Rats.
- Meal Timing and Frequency: Implications for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association.
- Glycation Inhibitors Extend Yeast Chronological Lifespan By Reducing Advanced Glycation End Products and By Back Regulation of Proteins Involved in Mitochondrial Respiration.
- Intestinal Invalidation of the Glucose Transporter GLUT2 Delays Tissue Distribution of Glucose and Reveals an Unexpected Role in Gut Homeostasis.
- Aging and Caloric Restriction Impact Adipose Tissue, Adiponectin, and Circulating Lipids.
- Alleviation of Senescence and Epithelial-mesenchymal Transition in Aging Kidney By Short-term Caloric Restriction and Caloric Restriction Mimetics.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- Calorie Restriction-induced Weight Loss and Exercise Have Differential Effects on Skeletal Muscle Mitochondria Despite Similar Effects on Insulin Sensitivity.
- Effect of a 5-Month Worksite Physical Activity Program on Tertiary Employees Overall Health and Fitness.
- Sex Differences in the Response of Total PYY and GLP-1 to Moderate-intensity Continuous and Sprint Interval Cycling Exercise.
- Economic Analysis of Primary Care-Based Physical Activity Counseling in Older Men: The VA-LIFE Trial.
- RCT: Exercise During Pregnancy to Prevent Gestational Diabetes Mellitus and Improve Pregnancy Outcome in Overweight and Obese Pregnant Women.
Economics & Sociology
- What Explains the Socioeconomic Status Gap in Activity? Educational Differences in Determinants of Physical Activity and Screentime.
- Before the Obesity Epidemic: The BMI of Canadians in the First and Second World Wars.
- Metabolic Risk Factors and Mechanisms of Disease in Epithelial Ovarian. (pdf)
- Low Social Rank Bigger Health Risk than Obesity: Study.
- Trends in Obesity, Overweight, and Malnutrition Among Children and Adolescents in Shenyang, China in 2010 and 2014: A Multiple Cross-sectional Study.
- Deaths Attributable to Diabetes in the United States: Comparison of Data Sources and Estimation Approaches.
- Fathers' Engagement in Pediatric Obesity Programs: A Systematic Review.
- Neuropsychological Function in Morbid Obesity.
- Stepped-care Approach to Weight Loss.
- Can Health “halos” Extend to Food Packaging? An Investigation Into Food Healthfulness Perceptions and Serving Sizes on Consumption Decisions.
- Self-reported Overeating and Attributions for Food Intake.
- Body Dissatisfaction in Individuals with Obesity Compared to Normal-Weight Individuals: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Trajectories of Weight Change and Predictors Over 18-Month Weight Loss Treatment.
Equity and Disparities
- Physicians' Counseling on Exercise Increased Moderately...Some Disparities Narrowed and Even Reversed.
- International Comparisons in Underserved Health: Issues, Policies, Needs and Projection.
- Primary Care of the Medically Underserved.
- Commentary: Advancing Access and Equity: The Vision of a New Generation in Cancer Control.
- Body Image and Adolescence: A Behavioral Impairment Model.
- Meta-Analysis: Body Dissatisfaction in Individuals with Obesity Compared to Normal-Weight Individuals.
- Body Size Attitudes and Body Image Perception Among Preschool Children and Their Parents. (pdf)
- Rigid Dietary Control, Flexible Dietary Control, and Intuitive Eating: Evidence for Their Differential Relationship to Disordered Eating and Body Image Concerns.
- Book Review: Fat-Talk Nation - the Human Costs of America’s War on Fat.
- Internalized Weight Stigma Mediates and Moderates Physical Activity Outcomes.
- Advocacy Coalitions Involved in California's Menu Labeling Policy Debate: Exploring Coalition Structure, Policy Beliefs, Resources, and Strategies.
- Piece of Cake? A Q-study on Public, Private and Non-governmental Obesity Frames.
- Regulations Under International Human Rights Law and Under EU Law - Two Different Regimes that Could Be Better Harmonized?: The Case of Food and Health.
- HIV / AIDS, Obesity and Stigma: A New Era for Non-discrimination Law?'
- Optimizing the Process for Establishing the Dietary Guidelines for Americans: The Selection Process (2017).
- Revenge of the Lunch Lady.
- Predictors of Infant Body Composition at 5 Months of Age.
- Associations Between Human Breast Milk Hormones and Adipocytokines and Infant Growth and Body Composition in the First 6months of Life.+2009>
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- Total Energy Expenditure in Captive Capuchins (Sapajus Apella).
- Practice Makes Perfect: Performance Optimisation in ‘arboreal’ Parkour Athletes Illuminates the Evolutionary Ecology of Great Ape Anatomy.
- Usefulness of Motion Sensors to Estimate Energy Expenditure in Children and Adults: A Narrative Review of Studies Using DLW.
- Does the Membrane Pacemaker Theory of Metabolism Explain the Size Dependence of Metabolic Rate in Marine Mussels?
- Accuracy of BMI Cutoff Points for Obesity According to DXA Body Fat Estimates in Brazilian Adolescents.
- The Effect of Random Error on Diagnostic Accuracy Illustrated with the Anthropometric Diagnosis of Malnutrition.
- Estimation of Post-Mortem Interval Using Decomposition Scales for Hanging Bodies.
- Researchers Develop Wearable, Low-cost Sensor to Measure Skin Hydration.
Mathematical and Quantitative
- Comparing Methods of Targeting Obesity Interventions in Populations: An Agent-based Simulation.
- Using reduced rank regression methods to identify dietary patterns associated with obesity: a cross-country study among European and Australian adolescents.
- Neglecting Social Rank in Obesity Prevention Strategies.
- A Diet of Alternative Facts.
- Willpower is a Dangerous, Old Idea that Needs to Be Scrapped.
- Females No Longer Neglected in Obesity Research.
- Two Authors State "Sugar isn't that different to smoking for pregnant women."
- Propelling the Paradigm Shift from Reductionism to Systems Nutrition.
- Sensible Public Health or Sugar Shaming?
- The Case for Sugar.
- Window of Light the Way, the Truth, and the Perfect Diet.
- You Ought to Have a Look: On Fixing Science.
- Behind the Smoke-Screen of Vaping: E-Cigarettes.
- Slides From Presentations at DOJ on Scientific Rigor By David Allison, Eric Lander, and Others.
- Fake Science & Health News: The Harm It Causes & How You Can Protect Yourself.
- Informing Policy with Science.
- 5TH ANNUAL WEIGHT STIGMA CONFERENCE.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity;" Applications due March 3rd.
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research;” Applications Due March 31st.
- National Academy of Sciences Sackler Colloquium “Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies”, March 8 - 10, 2017.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.