- Hepatic Expression of Adenovirus 36 E4ORF1 Improves Glycemic Control and Promotes Glucose Metabolism Through AKT Activation.
- Nanogel-based Nasal Ghrelin Vaccine Prevents Obesity [in Mice].
- [Low] Methodological Quality, Completeness of Reporting and Use of Systematic Reviews as Evidence in Clinical Practice Guidelines for Paediatric Overweight and Obesity.
Headline vs Study
- Headline: World Might Come to an End for Nutella Lovers: Study Suggests It Could Cause Cancer.
- Report: Evaluation of Risks Associated with Potential Chemical Byproducts of the Processing of an Oil Used in Nutella (and Many Other Things); No Mention of Nutella, No Observations in Humans.
- Evaluation of Headlines: Does Nutella Cause Cancer? A Deeper Look.
Contrary or Null Findings
- Accelerometer-measured Physical Activity is Not Associated with Two-year Weight Change in African-origin Adults From Five Diverse Populations.
- "Our findings provide little evidence to support a strong causal intrauterine effect of incrementally greater maternal BMI resulting in greater offspring adiposity."
- RCT: L-arginine Supplementation (2g Per Day) ...in Male Athletes, ...had No Effect on Anthropometric Measurements, Including BMI, BFM and LBM.
- RCT: 24-month Intervention with a 1-credit College Course on Healthy Weight Behaviors and a Social Networking and Social Support Website …was Not Successful in Achieving BMI Differences Between Treatment Groups.
- The Authors Find No Association Between Changes in Sprawl and the Changes in BMI for Movers.
- RCT: "The results of this study suggest that, in nonmetabolic obese persons, a hypoallergenic-LCD diet for 1 mo showed no advantages compared with an LCD."
- Contrary to the Reports of a Salutary Effect of Honey in Diabetic Humans and Rodents, Our Results Showed that Consumption of Honey Caused No Significant Changes in Body Weight, or Glucose and Insulin Concentrations.
- "Surprisingly, the excess of fatty mass seems not to be related to atherosclerotic burden in very elderly individuals."
- Brown Adipose Tissue Does Not Seem to Mediate Metabolic Adaptation to Overfeeding in Men.
- Increased Ghrelin Signaling Prolongs Survival in Mouse Models of Human Aging Through Activation of Sirtuin1.
- Alcoholic Fatty Liver is Enhanced in CYP2A5 Knockout Mice Via the PPARa-FGF21 Axis.
- Effects of Varying Protein and Lipid Levels and Protein-to-Energy Ratios on Growth, Feed Utilization, and Body Composition in Juvenile Croakers.
- Store-Operated Ca2+ Entry (SOCE) Controls Induction of Lipolysis and the Transcriptional Re-Programming of Lipid Metabolism.
- Increased Expression of Triggering Receptor Expressed on Myeloid Cells-1 in the Population with Obesity and Insulin Resistance.
- Interspecies Organogenesis Generates Autologous Functional Islets.
- Mild and Short-term Caloric Restriction Prevents Obesity-induced Cardiomyopathy in Young Zucker Rats Without Changing in Metabolites and Fatty Acids Cardiac Profile.
- Hindbrain DPP-IV Inhibition Improves Glycemic Control and Promotes Negative Energy Balance.
- Celastrol Ameliorates Liver Metabolic Damage Caused By a High-fat Diet Through Sirt1.
- Insulin Production and Resistance in Different Models of Diet-Induced Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome.
- Deletion of P22phox-dependent Oxidative Stress in the Hypothalamus Protects Against Obesity By Modulating ß3 - Adrenergic Mechanisms.
- Effects of G6pc2 Deletion on Body Weight and Cholesterol in Mice.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- Critical Evaluation of Nutrition Research.
- Comment On: Update and Next Steps for Real-World Translation of Interventions for Type 2 Diabetes Prevention.
- Response to Comment On: Update and Next Steps for Real-World Translation of Interventions for Type 2 Diabetes Prevention.
- Letter: What is a Favourable Risk-Benefit Profile Concerning Metabolic Surgery for Patients with Type 2 Diabetes?
- Letter: Is It Justified to Have a Lower BMI Cutoff for Metabolic Surgery for Asians with Type 2 Diabetes?
- Response To: Why Fat Suits do Not Advance the Scientific Study of Weight Stigma.
- Comment On: A Meta-analysis of GLP-1 Receptor Agonists Versus Insulin Treatment From Head-to-head Studies in Type 2 Diabetic Patients.
- RCT: Effect of Shortened Sleep on Energy Expenditure, Core Body Temperature, and Appetite.
- Loss of Hepatic CEACAM1: A Unifying Mechanism Linking Insulin Resistance to Obesity and Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
- Role of Insulin-Stimulated Adipose Tissue Perfusion in the Development of Whole-Body Insulin Resistance.
Children and Adolescents
- Overweight in Adolescent, Psychiatric Inpatients: A Problem of General or Food-specific Impulsivity?
- Sweetened Beverage Intake in Association to Energy and Sugar Consumption and Cardiometabolic Markers in Children.
- Dietary Patterns in Infancy are Associated with Child Diet and Weight Outcomes at 6 Years.
- Cardiac Autonomic Regulation as a Predictor for Childhood Obesity Intervention Success.
- Three Interventions that Reduce Childhood Obesity are Projected to Save More than They Cost to Implement.
- Systematic Review: Involvement of Fathers in Pediatric Obesity Treatment and Prevention Trials.
- Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Reduces Blood Pressure and Hypothalamic Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress in Mice.
- Gastric Plication Improves Glycemia Partly By Restoring the Altered Expression of Aquaglyceroporins in Adipose Tissue and Liver.
- Mechanisms Behind Reduced Appetite for Fat After Gastric Bypass Uncovered.
- Beneficial Effects of Naringenin and Indomethacin on White and Brown Adipocytes.
- Associations of Prenatal and Childhood Antibiotic Use with Child BMI at Age 3 Years.
- Pharmacological Efficacy of FGF21 Analogue, Liraglutide and Insulin Glargine in Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes.
- RCT: Efficacy and Safety of Once-weekly Semaglutide Monotherapy Versus Placebo in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes.
Food & Diet
- RCT: Effect of Mouth Rinsing and Ingestion of Carbohydrate Solutions on Mood and Perceptual Responses During Exercise.
- RCT: The Relative Reinforcing Value of Sweet Versus Savory Snack Foods After Consumption of Sugar- or Non-nutritive Sweetened Beverages.
- How Nutritious are Children's Packed School Lunches? A Comparison of Lunches Brought From Home and School Lunches.
- Saturated Fat Consumption and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease and Ischemic Stroke: A Science Update.
- Long-term Dietary Supplementation with Low-dose Nobiletin Ameliorates Hepatic Steatosis, Insulin Resistance, and Inflammation Without Altering Fat Mass in Diet-induced Obesity.
- Protection Against High-Fat-Diet-Induced Obesity in Mice Due to Reduced P53 Activity and Enhanced Energy Expenditure.
- Bovine Milk Oligosaccharides Decrease Gut Permeability and Improve Inflammation and Microbial Dysbiosis in Diet-induced Obese Mice.
- The Effects of Graded Levels of Calorie Restriction: IX. Global Metabolomic Screen Reveals Modulation of Carnitines, Sphingolipids and Bile Acids in the Liver of C57BL/6 Mice.
- Calorie Restriction Attenuates Terminal Differentiation of Immune Cells.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- Systematic Review: The Impact of Interventions that Integrate Accelerometers on Physical Activity and Weight Loss.
- Regular Exercise Shapes Healthy Gut Microbiome. (pdf)
- Behavior Change with Fitness Technology in Sedentary Adults: A Review of the Evidence for Increasing Physical Activity.
- Plasma Irisin Modestly Increases During Moderate and High-Intensity Afternoon Exercise in Obese Females.
Economics & Sociology
- Using the Protein Leverage Hypothesis to Understand Socioeconomic Variation in Obesity.
- Height, BMI, and Relative Economic Standing in Children From Developing Countries.
- Measures of the Food Environment: A Systematic Review of the Field, 2007–2015.
- CEBP Focus: The Obesity Paradox in Cancer: Evidence and New Directions.
- SNAP Participation and Diet-Sensitive Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Adolescents.
- Portion Size Tells Who I Am, Food Type Tells Who You Are: Specific Functions of Amount and Type of Food in Same- and Opposite-sex Dyadic Eating Contexts.
- Food Cravings Prospectively Predict Decreases in Perceived Self-regulatory Success in Dieting.
- Parent-adolescent Influences on Everyday Dietary Practices: Perceptions of Adolescent Females with Obesity and Their Mothers.
- Contextual Factors Associated with Eating in the Absence of Hunger Among Adults with Obesity.
- Adolescent Weight Status: Associations with Structural and Functional Dimensions of Social Relations.
- BMI Moderates the Relationship Between C-reactive Protein and Depressive Symptoms.
- Volitional Regulation of Brain Responses to Food Stimuli in Overweight and Obese Subjects: A Real-time FMRI Feedback Study.
- Self-Expansion is Associated with Better Adherence and Obesity Treatment Outcomes in Adults.
Equity and Disparities
- Race Effects of Perceived Weight Status and Its Relationship with Unmet Health Care Need.
- Social Disparities in Obesogenic Behaviors in Adolescents.
- Commentary: Urban Place and Health Equity:Critical Issues and Practices.
- Association Between Weight Bias Internalization and Metabolic Syndrome Among Treatment-seeking Individuals with Obesity.
- Can Legislation Prohibiting Weight Discrimination Improve Psychological Well-Being?
- Eating Moderates the Link Between BMI and Perceived Social Connection.
- Internalized Weight-stigma and Binge Eating Behaviors in Portuguese Women with Overweight and Obesity.
- The Damaging Effects of Weight Bias Internalization.
- Taxing Sugar-sweetened Beverages: Impact on Overweight and Obesity in Germany.
- Junk Food, Junk Diets, and Junk Policy for Obesity.
- Taking Measures in Times of Crisis: The Political Economy of Obesity Prevention in Spain.
- Adverse Metabolic Phenotype of Female Offspring Exposed to Preeclampsia in Utero: A Characterization of the BPH/5 Mouse in Postnatal Life.
- Maternal Pre-Pregnancy Obesity is Associated with Altered Placental Transcriptome.
- Associations of Maternal Pre-pregnancy BMI and Gestational Weight Gain with Birth Outcomes in Shanghai, China.
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- Energetics of Being a Healthy Sith Lord.
- Morphological Asymmetry and Habitat Quality: Using Fleas and Their Rodent Hosts as a Novel Experimental System.
- Comparative Genomics Reveals Convergent Evolution Between the Bamboo-eating Giant and Red Pandas.
Mathematical and Quantitative
- Qualitative Stability Analysis of an Obesity Epidemic Model with Social Contagion.
- Mathematical Investigation of Diabetically Impaired Ultradian Oscillations in the Glucose-insulin Regulation.
- Evaluation of Serum High Molecular Weight Adiponectin and Lipid Profiles in Predicting the Risk of Coronary Artery Disease Among CAD Patients.(pdf).
- Ingestive Classics: Stanley Schachter and Obesity and Eating.
- Professor: ‘Indulgent’ Foodie Blogs Sexually Objectify Women.
- Big Studies Clash Over Fetal Growth Rates.
- What Not to Eat: ‘The Case Against Sugar’.
- Why Sugar is Bad for You.
- Esther Cepeda: White-knuckled Fear of Sugar Isn't the Sweetest Solution to Our Overconsumption.
- The Case Against Sugar.
- What's Making Us Fat? Inside the Sugar Wars. Experts Disagree on What's Really Driving the Obesity Epidemic.
- Government Should Not Regulate Sugar Like Alcohol or Tobacco to Curb Obesity.
- Think Sweet ~ Stay Slim.
- Nutritional Studies Swayed By Popular Opinion, Researchers Say.
- Commentary on Low-Calorie Sweetened Beverages Misses the Mark.
- ‘Chocolate Found to Stave Off Death!’ Analyzing the Scientific Evidence Behind Health Headlines.
- EU Panel Concludes Organic Food May Offer Limited Health, Sustainability Advantages.
- The Clear and Present Menace of SciLence.
- Webcast Recordings and Speaker Presentations From the ILAR Roundtable Workshop on Animal Models for Microbiome Research: Advancing Basic and Translational Science are Now Available.
- John Arnold's War on Bad Science.
- Academia's Failure to Retain Data Scientists.
- "This study did not find strong evidence of a protective relationship between family activities and school problems."
- Pomegranate for Prevention and Treatment of Cancer: An Update.
- Loss of Merlin Induces Metabolomic Adaptation that Engages Dependence on Hedgehog Signaling.
- Performance of Predictive Equations Specifically Developed to Estimate Resting Energy Expenditure in Ventilated Critically Ill Children.
- Vacuum Transfer Advance Will Help Redefine Kilogram Next Year.
Video & Audio
- Video: Studying Mitochondrial Structure and Function in Drosophila Ovaries.
- Audio: Is Your Smartphone Weighing Down Your Workout?
- Announcing: Glucose Clamping the Conscious Mouse: A Laboratory Course September 11-15, 2017.
- 12th Annual Building Healthy Lifestyles Conference February 10-11.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity;" Applications due March 3rd.
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research;” Applications Due March 31st.
- National Academy of Sciences Sackler Colloquium “Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies”, March 8 - 10, 2017.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.