- Dietary Fat Promotes Ketogenesis to Enhance BRAF V600E Tumor Growth.
- BMI Moderates the Effect of Social Exemplars on Food Choice.
Headline vs Study
- Headline: The Type of Sugar You Eat Matters as Much as How Much is Consumed.
- Press Release: The Type, Not Just the Amount, of Sugar Consumption Matters in Risk of Health Problems.
- Study: Study Comparing Water Against 20% Glucose or Fructose Solutions as Only Fluid Available on Metabolism and Aortic Function... In Female Rats.
Contrary or Null Findings
- There was no evidence that consumption of a cardioprotective diet was more expensive than a conventional dietary pattern.
- RCT: The Effects of Additional Glucose to Fructose or Fructans May Not Be Linked to Gastrointestinal Symptoms.
- Gestational Weight Gain Not Reduced Following Weighing as a Stand-alone Intervention: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of RCTs.
- No Association Between Religiosity and Change in PA and Diet.
- Few Studies Have Effectively Increased Physical Activity Among Overweight or Obese Children: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of RCTs.
- FGF21 Mediates Thermogenic and Insulin-Sensitizing Effects of Dietary Methionine Restriction but Not Hepatic Lipid Metabolism.
- RCT: Tailored Intervention for Non-western Immigrants Had High Non-response Rate and Did Not Improve Cardiometabolic Risk Factors Nor Health Behaviors.
- RCT: Insufficient Evidence to Support Efficacy of Preoperative Nutritional Counseling on Postoperative Weight Control.
- Insufficient Evidence to Link Early-life Growth with Future Energy Balance-related Behaviors but Extreme Birth Weights and PA May Be Associated: A Systematic Review.
- Adipose Tissue CLK2 Promotes Energy Expenditure During High-Fat Diet Intermittent Fasting.
- Plus-sized Fly: A Model to Understand the Mechanisms Underlying Human Obesity.
- Metabolism of Seriola Lalandi During Starvation as Revealed By Fatty Acid Analysis and Compound-Specific Analysis of Stable Isotopes Within Amino Acids.
- Chemotherapy Can Induce Weight Normalization of Morbidly Obese Mice Despite Undiminished Ingestion of High Fat Diet.
- Lead Exposure Induces Weight Gain in Adult Rats, Accompanied By DNA Hypermethylation.
- Altered Glucose and Lipid Homeostasis in Liver and Adipose Tissue Pre-dispose Inducible NOS Knockout Mice to Insulin Resistance.
- Knockout of Toll-Like Receptor 4 Attenuates High Fat Diet-Induced Cardiac Dysfunction By a NF-kB/JNK-Dependent Activation of Autophagy.
- Vanillic Acid Increases Antioxidant Activities While Lowering Fasting Plasma Glucose, Insulin, and Blood Pressure Levels in Diabetic Hypertensive Rats.
- Obesity Induces Pro-Inflammatory B Cells and Impairs B Cell Function in Visceral Adipose Tissue in Aging Mice.
- Curcumin Represses Mouse 3T3-L1 Cell Adipogenic Differentiation Via Inhibiting MiR-17-5p and Stimulating the Wnt Signalling Pathway Effector Tcf7l2.
- Diet, Gonadal Sex, and Sex Chromosome Complement Influence White Adipose Tissue MiRNA Expression.
- Weight Perturbation Alters Leptin Signal Transduction in a Region-Specific Manner Throughout the Brain.
- TRPV1 Activation Counters Diet-induced Obesity Through Sirtuin-1 Activation and PRDM-16 Deacetylation in Brown Adipose Tissue.
- Adipocyte Lipolysis Links Obesity to Breast Cancer Growth: Adipocyte-derived Fatty Acids Drive Breast Cancer Cell Proliferation and Migration.
- Increases in Physical Activity Result in Diminishing Increments in Daily Energy Expenditure in Mice.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- “Food Stamp Fables”: Concerns Raised about Accuracy of The New York Times’ Attack on Food Stamps.
- Critique of Gary Taubes’s “The Case Against Sugar”.
- NYT Interview with Gary Taubes: If Sugar Is Harmless, Prove It.
- Comment On: Increased Food Energy Supply as a Major Driver of the Obesity Epidemic: A Global Analysis.
- Letter: Diagnosis of Childhood Obesity Using BMI: Potential Ethicolegal Implications and Downstream Effects.
- Letter: Oxidative Stress Participates in the Associations Between Serum Uric Acid and Albuminuria in the Obesity.
- Response to Letter to the Editor Entitled Oxidative Stress Participates in the Associations Between Serum Uric Acid and Albuminuria in Obesity.
- Letter to the Editor: Vagal Blocking (vBloc) Therapy: A New Era of Clinical Therapy for Extreme Obesity.
- Letter: Defining Obesity Using a Biological End Point in Sri Lankan Children: Correspondence.
- A Warm Welcome Matters! The Link Between Social Feedback and Weight Loss in /r/loseit.
- Consensus Statement By the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American College of Endocrinology on the Comprehensive Type 2 Diabetes Management Algorithm – 2017 Executive Summary.
Children and Adolescents
- Multilevel Correlates of Healthy BMI Maintenance and Return to a Healthy BMI Among Children in Massachusetts.
- Cesarean Birth is Not Associated with Early Childhood BMI.
- Evaluation of Children’s Lunch Box Contents By Photograph and Their Relationship with Mothers’ Concern.
- RCT: Use of Different Vegetable Products to Increase Preschool-Aged Children’s Preference for and Intake of a Target Vegetable.
- My Idol Eats Carrots, So do I? The Delayed Effect of a Classroom-based Intervention on 4–6-year-old Children’s Intake of a Familiar Vegetable.
- Bariatric Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery: Adipocyte Proteins Involved in Increased Bone Remodeling in Humans.
- Milestone Weight Loss Goals (Weight Normalization and Remission of Obesity) After Gastric Bypass Surgery: Long-Term Results From the University of Michigan.
- Five-year Results of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy for the Treatment of Severe Obesity.
- RCT: Liraglutide Effects on Cardiovascular Risk Biomarkers in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes and Albuminuria: A Sub-analysis.
- RCT: Investigation to Compare Orlistat 60 Milligram and a Customized Polyglucosamine, Two Treatment Methods for the Management of Overweight and Obesity.
- Medical Management of Diabesity: Do We Have Realistic Targets?
- The Effect of Eighteen-Month Metformin Treatment in Obese Adolescents: Comparison of Results Obtained in Daily Practice with Results From a Clinical Trial.
Food & Diet
- RCT: Dietary Wolfberry Extract Modifies Oxidative Stress By Controlling the Expression of Inflammatory MRNAs in Overweight and Hypercholesterolemic Subjects.
- RCT: Whey Protein Supplementation Enhances Body Fat and Weight Loss in Women Long After Bariatric Surgery.
- Efficacy of Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Supplementation in Managing Overweight and Obesity: A Meta-Analysis of RCTs.
- Associations Between Yogurt Consumption and Weight Gain and Risk of Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome: A Systematic Review.
- Effects of Intermittent Fasting on Glucose and Lipid Metabolism.
- Effects of Age and Caloric Restriction in the Vascular Response of Renal Arteries to Endothelin-1 in Rats.
- Targeting Glucose Metabolism for Healthy Aging.
- RCT: Serum Concentrations and Gene Expression of Sirtuin 1 in Healthy and Slightly Overweight Subjects After Caloric Restriction or Resveratrol Supplementation.
- Efficacy of Nutritional Recommendations Given By Registered Dietitians Compared to Other Healthcare Providers in Reducing Arterial Blood Pressure: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- Effects of Childhood and Adolescence Physical Activity Patterns on Psychosis Risk—a General Population Cohort Study.
- Physical Activity, Energy Expenditure, Nutritional Habits, Quality of Sleep and Stress Levels in Shift-Working Health Care Personnel.
- Associations of Health Club Membership with Physical Activity and Cardiovascular Health.
- Objective Estimates of Physical Activity and Sedentary Time Among Young Adults.
- Community Weight Loss to Combat Obesity and Disability in At-Risk Older Adults.
- Combination of Recreational Soccer and Caloric Restricted Diet Reduces Markers of Protein Catabolism and Cardiovascular Risk in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes.
Economics & Sociology
- Social Relations, Depressive Symptoms, and Incident Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The English Longitudinal Study of Ageing.
- Socioeconomic Disparities in Birth Weight and BMI During Infancy Through Age 7 years: A Study Within the Danish National Birth Cohort.
- Associations Between At-risk Alcohol Use, Substance Use, and Smoking with Lipohypertrophy and Lipoatrophy Among Patients Living with HIV.
- Secular Trends for Skinfolds Differ From Those for BMI and Waist Circumference Among Adults Examined in NHANES From 1988-1994 Through 2009-2010.
- Sleep Quality and BMI: A Co-twin Study.
- Association of BMI with DNA Methylation and Gene Expression in Blood Cells and Relations to Cardiometabolic Disease: A Mendelian Randomization Approach.
- Prevalence of Overweight, Obesity, Underweight and Normal Weight in French Youth From 2009 to 2013.
- BMI at Accession and Incident Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in US Army Soldiers, 2001–2011.
- A Mediational Model of Obesity Related Disordered Eating: The Roles of Childhood Emotional Abuse and Self-perception.
- Impulsivity and Test Meal Intake Among Women with Bulimia Nervosa.
- “Monkey See, Monkey Do”: Peers' Behaviors Predict Preschoolers' Physical Activity and Dietary Intake in Childcare Centers.
- Processes of Change in Quality of Life, Weight Self-stigma, BMI and Emotional Eating After an Acceptance-, Mindfulness- and Compassion-based Group Intervention (Kg-Free) for Women with Overweight and Obesity.
- Impulsivity and Temporal Frame: Reducing Frequency of Snacking By Highlighting Immediate Health Benefits.
- The Mediating Role of Dichotomous Thinking and Emotional Eating in the Relationship Between Depression and BMI.
- Reward Sensitivity and Body Weight: The Intervening Role of Food Responsive Behavior and External Eating.
- Impact of Food Craving and Calorie Intake on BMI Changes During an 18-month Behavioral Weight Loss Trial.
- Gender Differences in Eating Behavior and Eating Pathology: The Mediating Role of Rumination.
Equity and Disparities
- Racial and Ethnic Differences in Antihypertensive Medication Use and Blood Pressure Control Among US Adults with Hypertension.
- Biobehavioral Factors that Shape Nutrition in Low-Income Populations: A Narrative Review.
- Population Health Equity Rate and Burden, Race and Class.
- Book: Why Ethnogeriatrics is Important.
- Building Therapeutic Relationships: Choosing Words that Put People First.
- Book Chapter: "Weight bias: Prejudice and discrimination toward overweight and obese people."
- Including Perspectives of Women with Overweight and Obesity to Inform Stigma-reduction Strategies.
- Qualitative: Perceived Consequences of a Successful Weight Loss.
- Fat Suits do Not Advance the Scientific Study of Weight Stigma.
- Parents’ Perceptions of Their Children as Overweight and Children’s Weight Concerns and Weight Gain.
- The Impact of Shame, Self-Criticism and Social Rank on Eating Behaviours in Overweight and Obese Women Participating in a Weight Management Programme.
- Healthy Concessions: High School Students' Responses to Healthy Concession Stand Changes.
- Health Guidance in an Age of Low Public Trust.
- The Obesity Prevention Initiative: A Statewide Effort to Improve Child Health in Wisconsin. (pdf)
- Community-Led Collaborative Action to Prevent Obesity. (pdf)
- Government's Role in Promoting Healthy Lifestyle.
- Repealing the ACA Without a Replacement - the Risks to American Health Care.
- Maternal Metabolic Syndrome Programs Mitochondrial Dysfunction Via Germline Changes Across Three Generations.
- Programming Maternal and Child Overweight and Obesity in the Context of Undernutrition: Current Evidence and Key Considerations for Low- and Middle-income Countries.
- Impact of Lifestyle Intervention for Obese Women During Pregnancy on Maternal Metabolic and Inflammatory Markers.
- Gestational Weight Gain and the Risk of Infant Mortality Amongst Women with Normal Prepregnancy BMI: The Friedmann-Balayla Model.
- Prenatal and Postnatal Mothering By Diesel Exhaust PM2.5-exposed Dams Differentially Program Mouse Energy Metabolism.
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- Revisiting the Energetic Efficiency Hypothesis: Body Mass, Metabolism, and Food Chain Length.
- Worldwide Increase of Obesity is Related to the Reduced Opportunity for Natural Selection.
- Effects of Climatic Variables on Weight Loss: A Global Analysis.
- Living at a Geographically Higher Elevation is Associated with Lower Risk of Metabolic Syndrome: Prospective Analysis of the SUN Cohort.
- Effects of Activity, Genetic Selection, and Their Interaction on Muscle Metabolic Capacities and Organ Masses in Mice.
- Determining the Validity and Reliability of the Preschooler’s Food Preference Survey (PFPS-12). (pdf)
- Classifying Gestational Weight Gain Trajectories Using the SITAR Growth Model.
- Can Calculation of Energy Expenditure Based on CO2 Measurements Replace Indirect Calorimetry?
Mathematical and Quantitative
- Canonical Representation of the Human Energy Metabolism of Lean Mass, Fat Mass, & Insulin Resistance.
- Predicting Obesity From Grocery Data: A Conceptual Process Framework.
- Can We Stop Faking the Answers to Obesity?
- Demonizing Sugar Isn't the Most Effective Way to Combat Obesity.
- The Most Popular Theory About What Causes Obesity May Be Very Wrong.
- Processed Food - an Experiment that Failed.
- The Impact of Postdoctoral Training on Early Careers in Biomedicine.
- The Fine Art of Sniffing Out Crappy Science.
- Zebra Shark Makes World-first Switch From Sexual to Asexual Reproduction.
- Project to Replicate Landmark Cancer Studies Meets Mixed Results.
Video & Audio
- 5th World Conference on Research Integrity.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity;" Applications due March 3rd.
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research;” Applications Due March 31st.
- National Academy of Sciences Sackler Colloquium “Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies”, March 8 - 10, 2017.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.
- The Potential Role of Sleep in Obesity Prevention and Management: A Virtual Workshop (Webinar).