- On Skepticism, Ad Hominem Reasoning, and the Science Around Sugar.
- Mifepristone Reduces Food Palatability and Affects Drosophila Feeding and Lifespan.
- Non-separable Time Preferences, Novelty Consumption and Body Weight: Theory and Evidence From the East German Transition to Capitalism.
- Caloric Restriction Improves Health and Survival of Rhesus Monkeys.
Contrary or Null Findings
- RCT: "The findings of our study showed that requiring non-breakfast eaters to eat breakfast resulted in higher caloric intake and weight gain."
- Meta-analysis of Effects on Objectively Measured Physical Activity, of Interventions Promoting Physical Activity Among Overweight or Obese Children or Adolescents Shows “no Effect on Total Physical Activity of Overweight and Obese Children….”
- In fish "Altogether, results indicate the use of carbohydrates as an alternative energy source does not produce negative effects on oxidative status of common dentex, on the contrary, even contribute to their oxidative protection."
- RCT: "Unexpectedly, participants in both confirming and challenging groups [priming messages about the causes of obesity] showed significantly higher scores on Fear of fat."
- RCT: Minimal to No Significant Effect of an Interactive Web-based Intervention on Obesity Indicators Despite Reported Effects on Physical Activity, Dietary Intake. (pdf)
- RCT: "Reduced-calorie diet that included orange juice contributes to weight loss and improves metabolic, obesity-related outcomes."
- RCT: "artificial sweetener intake does not appear to affect weight loss or weight maintenance in our population of overweight and obese adults."
- RCT: "Eight weeks of resistance training for the experimental group compared with the control group has no effect on the chemerin level and body composition of the overweight people with disabilities." (pdf)
- RCT: "Creatine Loading Does Not Preserve Muscle Mass or Strength During Leg Immobilization in Healthy, Young Males."
- "Higher diary fat exposure is not associated with an increased risk of CVD."
- Inhibition of C-Abl, a Non-Receptor Tyrosine Kinase, Attenuates Diet-Induced Obesity Through Improving Insulin Sensitivity of Subcutaneous Fat in Mice.
- Overexpression of the Mitochondrial Proliferator PGC-1a Increases Peroxisomal and Mitochondrial Fatty Acid Oxidation in Human Primary Myotubes.
- Molecular Profiling of Human IPS-Derived Hypothalamic Neurons Provides Developmental Insights to Genetic Loci for Body Weight Regulation.
- Metabolic Profiling Reveals Reprogramming of Lipid Metabolic Pathways in Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome with 3-iodothyronamine.
- An Estrogen Receptor ß-selective Agonist Inhibits Non-alcoholic Steatohepatitis in Preclinical Models By Regulating Bile Acid and Xenobiotic Receptors.
- Dietary Interventions for Fetal Growth Restriction – Therapeutic Potential of Dietary Nitrate Supplementation in Pregnancy.
- Branched-chain Amino Acids are Associated with Odd-chain Fatty Acids in Normoglycaemic Individuals.
- Gestational Disruptions in Metabolic Rhythmicity of the Liver, Muscle, and Placenta Affect Fetal Size.
- White to Beige Conversion in PDE3B KO Adipose Tissue Through Activation of AMPK Signaling and Mitochondrial Function.
- Impact of High Fat Diet on Tissue Acyl-CoA and Histone Acetylation Levels.
- Differential Proteomic and Oxidative Profiles Unveil Dysfunctional Protein Import to Adipocyte Mitochondria in Obesity-associated Aging and Diabetes.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- All Guidelines Flawed. Some Useful.
- Comment on a Recent Commentary: Low-Calorie Sweetened Beverages.
- Recent Commentary on Low-Calorie Sweetened Beverages.
- Comment: The Effect of (l-)carnitine on Weight Loss in Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of RCTs.
- A Model Framework that Integrates Community and Clinical Systems for the Prevention and Management of Obesity and Other Chronic Diseases.
- RCT: Symptomatic Response to Testosterone Treatment in Dieting Obese Men with Low Testosterone Levels.
- Obesity Coverage on Medical Licensing Examinations in the United States. What is Being Tested?
Children and Adolescents
- Predicting Dietary Intake Among Children Classified as Overweight or at Risk for Overweight: Independent and Interactive Effects of Parenting Practices and Styles.
- Can It Be Harmful for Parents to Talk to Their Child About Their Weight? A Meta-analysis.
- Water, Juice, or Soda? Mothers and Grandmothers of Preschoolers Discuss the Acceptability and Accessibility of Beverages.
- Expectations for Treatment in Pediatric Weight Management and Relationship to Attrition.
- Adolescent Cardiovascular Functional and Structural Outcomes of Growth Trajectories From Infancy: Prospective Community-Based Study.
- Insulin Sensitivity and Inflammation Mediate the Impact of Fitness on Cerebrovascular Health in Adolescents.
- Staple Line Leak After Primary Sleeve Gastrectomy—Risk Factors and Mid-term Results: Do Patients Still Benefit From the Weight Loss Procedure?
- Review: Mechanisms of Action of Surgical Interventions on Weight-Related Diseases: The Potential Role of Bile Acids.
- In Silico Approach to Identify Non-synonymous SNPs in Human Obesity Related Gene, MC3R (melanocortin-3-receptor).
- Improvement of Quality of Life Through Glycemic Control By Liraglutide, a GLP-1 Analog, in Insulin-naive Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The PAGE1 Study.
- Pediatric Obesity: Pharmacokinetic Alterations and Effects on Antimicrobial Dosing.
- Combination Therapy with Exenatide Plus Pioglitazone Versus Basal/Bolus Insulin in Poorly Controlled Patients with Type 2 Diabetes on Sulfonylurea Plus Metformin: The Qatar Study.
Food & Diet
- RCT: Carbohydrate Mouth Rinse Enhances Time to Exhaustion During Treadmill Exercise.
- Comparisons of Fatty Acid Taste Detection Thresholds in People Who are Lean Vs. Overweight or Obese: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- RCT: Meals Enhancing Nutrition After Discharge.
- RCT: "Orange juice allied to a reduced-calorie diet results in weight loss and ameliorates obesity-related biomarkers."
- A Review of the Carbohydrate–insulin Model of Obesity.
- Celebrity Chefs Have Poor Food Safety Practices.
- Type of Sweet Flavour Carrier Affects Thyroid Axis Activity in Male Rats.
- In the Shopping Cart of a Food Stamp Household: Lots of Soda.
- Metabolic Effects of Fasting on Human and Mouse Blood in Vivo.
- Nutritional Control of Chronological Aging and Heterochromatin in Saccharomyces Cerevisiae.
- Calorie restriction lets monkeys live long and prosper.
- Global Metabolic Profiling of Plasma Shows that Three-Year Mild-Caloric Restriction Lessens an Age-Related Increase in Sphingomyelin and Reduces L-leucine and L-phenylalanine in Overweight and Obese Subjects.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- Objectively Measured Sedentary Behavior and Brain Volumetric Measurements in Multiple Sclerosis.
- Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviors Modify the Association Between Melanocortin 4 Receptor Gene Variant and Obesity in Chinese Children and Adolescents.
- RCT: Examining Commercial Weight Loss Programs and Exercise on Metabolic Syndrome in Overweight and Obese Women.
Economics & Sociology
- Teaching Critical Perspectives on Body Weight: The Obesity “Epidemic” and Pro-Ana Movement in Classroom Discussions.
- The Relationship Between Obesity and Socioeconomic Status Among Texas School Children and Its Spatial Variation.
- Is Childhood Socioeconomic Status Independently Associated with Adult BMI After Accounting for Adult and Neighborhood Socioeconomic Status?
- Parenting Styles and BMI: A Systematic Review of Prospective Studies Among Children.
- Prevalence of Perceived Food and Housing Security — 15 States, 2013.
- Less Hidden Celiac Disease but Increased Gluten Avoidance Without a Diagnosis in the United States.
- Type 2 Diabetes and Comorbid Symptoms of Depression and Anxiety: Longitudinal Associations with Mortality Risk.
- Lifestyle Factors Associated with Obesity in a Cohort of Males in the Central Province of Sri Lanka: A Cross-sectional Descriptive Study.
- Obesity in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: Burden, Drivers, and Emerging Challenges.
- BMI–measured Adiposity and Population Attributability of Associated Factors: A Population-based Study From Buea, Cameroon.
- Daily Exposure to Either a High- or Low-energy-dense Snack Food Reduces Its Reinforcing Value in Adolescents.
- Effortful Control as a Moderator in the Association Between Punishment and Reward Sensitivity and Eating Styles in Adolescent Boys and Girls.
- The Influence of Calorie and Physical Activity Labelling on Snack and Beverage Choices.
- Multicontextual Correlates of Energy-dense, Nutrient-poor Snack Food Consumption By Adolescents.
- RCT: Enhancing Physical Activity and Reducing Obesity Through Smartcare and Financial Incentives.
- Cost of Children's Healthy vs Unhealthy Snacks Does Not Differ at Convenience Stores.
- Multidimensional Assessment of Impulsivity in Relation to Obesity and Food Addiction.
- Are Perfectionistic Concerns an Antecedent of or a Consequence of Binge Eating, or Both? A Short-term Four-wave Longitudinal Study of Undergraduate Women.
- Unresolved Questions in Nudging Research: Putting the Psychology Back in Nudging.
Equity and Disparities
- Socioeconomic Inequalities in BMI Across Adulthood: Coordinated Analyses of Individual Participant Data From Three British Birth Cohort Studies Initiated in 1946, 1958 and 1970.
- Population Segmentation: An Approach to Reducing Childhood Obesity Inequalities.
- Efficiency or Equity? Simulating the Impact of High-risk and Population Intervention Strategies for the Prevention of Disease.
- Getting to Equity in Obesity Prevention: A New Framework.
- Ethical Considerations in the Implementation of Nutrigenetics/nutrigenomics.
- Why Fat Suits do Not Advance the Scientific Study of Weight Stigma.
- Response To: Why Fat Suits do Not Advance the Scientific Study of Weight Stigma.
- Chapter: Taste in Bodies and Fat Oppression.
- Perception of Child Weight and Pressure to Feed in Parents of Chinese-American Preschoolers.
- Emotional Responses to Shoppers Vary Based on Body Type and the Composition of the Shopping Basket.
- Obesity Coverage Gap: Consumers Perceive Low Coverage for Obesity Treatments Even When Workplace Wellness Programs Target BMI.
- Processes of Change in Quality of Life, Weight Self-stigma, BMI and Emotional Eating for Women in a Group Intervention (Kg-Free).
- The Effect of Belief in Weight Controllability on Anti-fat Attitudes.
- Narratives for Obesity: Effects of Weight Loss and Attribution on Empathy and Policy Support. (pdf)
- The Impact of Nutrition Labels on Food Sales: An In-Store Experiment in a Turkish Supermarket.
- Free to Consume? Anti-Paternalism and the Politics of New York City’s Soda Cap Saga.
- RCT: The Influence of Calorie and Physical Activity Labelling on Snack and Beverage Choices.
- Between Exposure, Access and Use: Reconsidering Foodscape Influences on Dietary Behaviours.
- Assessment of Attention Deficits in Adolescent Offspring Exposed to Maternal Type 1 Diabetes.
- Prevalence of Prediabetes Risk in Offspring Born to Mothers with Hyperandrogenism.
- Maternal Obesity in the Rat Impairs Male Offspring Aging of the Testicular Antioxidant Defence System.
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- Nonequilibrium Statistical Physics in Ecology: Vegetation Patterns, Animal Mobility and Temporal Fluctuations.
- Impact of Nutrition on Pollutant Toxicity: An Update with New Insights Into Epigenetic Regulation.
- What is for Dinner? First Report of Human Blood in the Diet of the Hairy-Legged Vampire Bat Diphylla Ecaudata.
- Collateral Fattening: When a Deficit in Lean Body Mass Drives Overeating.
- A New Cue for Torpor Induction: Charcoal, Ash and Smoke.
- White Paper of the Society of Computed Body Tomography and Magnetic Resonance on Dual-Energy CT, Part 3: Vascular, Cardiac, Pulmonary, and Musculoskeletal Applications.
- Calibrating Self-reported MVPA Strengthens Relationship with Metabolic Syndrome.
- Utility of Ultrasound for Body Fat Assessment.
Mathematical and Quantitative
- Two-view 3D Reconstruction for Food Volume Estimation.
- Canonical Representation of the Human Energy Metabolism of Lean Mass, Fat Mass, and Insulin Resistance.
- Can breakfast help keep us thin? Nutrition science is tricky.
- F1000 Recommendation: NIH Charts a Path for Nutrition Science.
- What will the Trump administration mean for the food industry?
- No, Childhood Obesity is Not Plateauing.
- Obesity as a Chronic Disease, Not a Character Flaw.
- Big Sugar’s Secret Ally? Nutritionists.
- Unintended Consequences, Special Interests, Sugar, and a View from the Clinical Trenches.
- ‘Feeling Inferior Causes Overeating’.
- Orange Juice: Sugary Hazard or Healthful Beverage?
- Gut Microbiota Composition Associated with Alterations in Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Psychosocial Outcomes Among Breast Cancer Survivors.
- Replication Studies Offer Much More than Technical Details.
- The INTERSALT Study and the Complex Relationship Between Salt Intake and Blood Pressure.
- F1000 Recommendation: Scientific Integrity Resource Guide: Efforts By Federal Agencies, Foundations, Nonprofit Organizations, Professional Societies, and Academia in the United States.
- Computer-aided Assessment of the Generalizability of Clinical Trial Results.
- The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research.
- How Science Should Affect Public Policy.
- Audio: Killer Mice.
- Lab Tests Show Elephant DNA May Be Key to Fighting Cancer, Says Utah Researcher.
- Low Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D is Associated with Higher Risk of Frequent Headache in Middle-aged and Older Men.
- Review: Embracing Biological Solutions to the Sustainable Energy Challenge.
- The Global Decline of Cheetah Acinonyx Jubatus and What It Means for Conservation.
Video & Audio
- Audio: Drunken Munchies, a Paper Centrifuge, and an Endangered Bumblebee.
- Accelerometers, Energy Expenditure and Antarctic Fur Seals.
- Webinar: The National Nutrition Research Roadmap: Measuring and Monitoring Individual Dietary Intake and the Food Environment, January 18, 3:00 Pm - 4:00 Pm (ET).
- New Book: Helping Patients Outsmart Overeating: Psychological Strategies for Doctors and Health Care Providers.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity;" Applications due March 3rd.
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research;” Applications Due March 31st.
- National Academy of Sciences Sackler Colloquium “Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies”, March 8 - 10, 2017.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.
- TOS Past-President Barbara Rolls, PhD, Offers Generous Endowment to Create ObesityWeek Travel Grants.
- Evidence-based Childhood Obesity Treatment Services.
- Incorporating Weight Management and Physical Activity Throughout the Cancer Care Continuum: A National Cancer Policy Forum Workshop.